Monday, December 10, 2007

Service: Just how hard is it?

After working in this very unrewarding industry only best known as the service industry, I know how much crap people have to take, and could almost understand their absurdly foul faces when I see them.

So, seeing that we are all comrades, I actually do my best to lighten the day. I know that a smile and a small word of hi will improve the mood of any cashier/waiter considerably.

At least, that was the case back in Australia.

But back at home in Singapore....

That, sadly, isn't the case.

To at least 20 supermarket cashiers whom I've said hi to, only 1 has replied me. The rest ignored me and continued scanning, or showed some signs of life by moving their head slightly to look at me, as if I've said something uncharacteristic (it probably is in Singapore), before heading back in their zombie-state of scanning items.

Kudos to you, that uncle at Cold Storage Bugis.

Just how hard is service? I'm not asking you to bow on my way out, or thank me loudly when I leave the store. All I ask is a more skillful eye, a slight smile, no matter how forced, and an overall pleasant attitude.

Just how hard is it?

Take, for example, a recent visit to Sakae Sushi at Marina Square with Sean and Ron. By sheer stupidity, I spilled the miso soup. While we were all laughing and making a general rackus, I simply cannot believe my eyes when I saw staff simply walking past and not offering any assistance. We may not need any, but even a slight question and giving us some tissues would be nice. Instead, we have to use the hand towels provided and I ended up with a pair of fairly hot wet pants.

So much for that meal.

So much for attention to awareness.

So much for eating at Sakae Sushi at Marina Square for the next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home